No Pipeline Bike Ride
May 12, 2012: Cyclists take to the streets to educate the public about a proposed 16-mile fracked gas pipeline from New Jersey to New York. The pipeline would go through New York City’s West Village, right under the High Line park.
Top 10 reasons why Spectra Energy’s proposed pipeline is a terrible idea:
- It’s a danger to local residents.
- Spectra has a history of safety issues.
- Pipeline regulation and oversight is sorely inadequate.
- We don’t need more gas, demand is flat.
- The gas is intended for export.
- Projected supplies are limited. Shale gas is a bubble.
- It increases the demand to frack.
- Gas will worsen, not improve our air quality.
- It could increase our risk from Radon.
- It’s the wrong direction. Our future is renewable.
Photo credit: Kate Theresa Conway